Its always useful to know of quality, free HR resources, to help run your business. Over the years, we have spent hours searching for the best ones, and here is our list of favourites.
We like free stuff!
Let us know if you have any other resources that you think we should add to this list.
1.ACAS. Bookmark this site or better still follow them on twitter and be informed of changes to UK employment law as it happens. This site also contains tips and advice on how to comply with UK employment law and how to develop legally compliant HR policies. It also include free templates and forms which you can download.
2.Department for Work and Pensions. This is a much less user friendly version of ACAS, and doesn’t include documents and forms, but it does have very comprehensive information about UK employment law and employee rights. It’s also worth bookmarking.
3. Your local Chamber of Commerce will have a website with a number of resources available to everyone. Here in Birmingham, we can find ours here. Of course, for in depth help you’ll need to join, this could be useful in the future.
4. LinkedIn Groups are a brilliant source of information. Once you’ve joined, members gladly share resources they’ve used in their businesses. Try joining groups specific to your industry, profession or sector. You can also join groups for HR managers and professionals.
5. CIPD. Although much of their content is behind a paywall for members only, you can get answers to key basic points here. And you have the assurance that as the UK’s professional body for HR professionals, everything is completely up to date and accurate, as well as being in line with the latest best practise.
6. Blogs are a great source of tips and advice. Take a look at Air’s blog, its written by a seasoned HR professional with over 20 years experience in all aspects of HR and people management, and updated regularly with current topics that most business owners will need help with. We also like this one from leading online employment law advice expert XpertHR. You have to pay to use their advice services and access much of the resource, but the blog is completely free, relevant and regularly updated.
7. Personnel Today has a great selection of free articles on HR, leadership and management. The content is from leading HR and business professionals, and is updated regularly. Take out a subscription for more in depth information.
8. Management Handbook from ACAS. This is a great little management handbook from ACAS giving you tips and advice on how to manage people in a small business in compliance with UK employment law.
9. Free HR Forms and Templates from Air, relating to hiring, managing and disciplining staff. This site includes job description templates, induction checklists, employee handbook templates, sickness and holiday policy templates, health and safety information, and ideas for creating a great company culture.
10. Slack groups are a fantastic resource for all types of information sharing. People are usually supportive, with an entrepreneurial mindset and a tech background. Try the #people group to get going. Don’t forget to answer questions yourself and add to the group – that way you’ll get more out of it.
11. TED talks. If you love learning by watching, these are a great resource. Find our top recommendations here.
12. Podcasts. A great way to combine exercise, dog walking or commuting with learning. We are great podcast fans. Get started with the CIPD’s list of tracks.
13. Looking to create a fantastic, cool new employee handbook and unleash your team’s creativity? Get ideas here. Be sure to check out Netflix’s culture slides. They’re pretty groundbreaking.
We hope this list of free HR resources helps! Let us know if you have any other resources that you think we should add to this list.
And if you need free HR policy templates, Air has helpfully produced a library of the ones that we know most small business owners will need. You’re welcome!