This Accounts Manager interview question list brings together an overview of what to look for in candidates with a balanced sample of suitable interview questions. Feel free to tailor it to suit your company and the vacancy you need to fill.
Accounts Managers are found in all types of industries. This is usually an junior to experienced accountancy position with a variety of duties. The best Accounts Managers are organised, meticulous, detail and outcome focussed, with good technical accounting and communication skills.
Some tasks within the role require specific skills or qualifications. Use these interviews as an opportunity to evaluate these skills. Some employers may even include a skills test in the interview process or as part of the recruitment and selection procedure. If there is a specific skill that you need, be sure to add questions about that to this list.
The following open-ended and situational interview questions will encourage your candidates to speak at length about their relevant experience. Use them to guide the interview, and ask follow up questions. You won’t need every single question. They will help you get a sense of their interpersonal skills, such as how well they manage, how well they can work on a team, and what motivates them as employees. The best candidates will be able to articulate what interests them about your company, and will contribute several prepared and spontaneous questions of their own to the conversation.
- Why did you decide to apply for this position?
- What do you know about our company?
- What aspects of the job appeal to you?
- Tell us more about your experience in the following: (insert specific skills areas, technology or knowledge requirements necessary for this role in your company)
- What strengths will you bring to the position?
- What are your main achievements as an Accounts Manager?
- What has been the most difficult situation you have had to deal with?
- What role do you take when working in a team?
- Which of your previous jobs have you enjoyed the most? Why?
- Describe how you prioritise the tasks you need to complete.
- What area of experience/skill will you need to develop if you get the job? How will you get it?
- What type of person do you find the most challenging to work with?
- What experience do you have supervising or managing staff?
- Have you ever had to discipline an employee or deal with underperformance? Tell us how you handled it.
- How did your previous employers demonstrate their trust in you?
- Talk about a successful work project that you got involved with to improve the business.
- Have you ever had to execute a project with a small budget, or a lack of resources? How did you address these issues?
- How do you go about organizing your day?
- What are some of your techniques for handling personal stress?
- Have you ever been put in a situation that challenged your ethical beliefs or values? What did you do?
- What feedback did you get in your last role about areas that you need to develop?
- What self development activities have you undertaken?
- Who has been your best manager? Why?
- Have you any questions?
Click here for an Accounts Manager job description that you can easily customise to your company and use for posting on job boards.